Monday, August 29, 2011

Lee Weiland RIP


The audio community was shocked and saddened by the passing of Lee Weiland at the young age of 46. Lee headed Locus Design, the maker of excellent audio cables, and he was also very active in promoting a sense of unity among fellow manufacturers as well as audiophiles.

Josh Heiner, who makes the terrific SonicWeld speakers that I had the chance of auditioning a few years ago, was Lee's best friend. He left the following message on the AudioEvo forum:

Hello Friends -

This is Josh from Sonicweld. Lee was my best friend and most trusted business advisor for the past twenty years. I'm the one who confirmed his passing, which occurred sometime this past Friday. He was only 46 years old. Life is a fragile thing and can be snuffed out at any moment; it is jarring when someone is taken prematurely. I'm so grateful for the time I had with my dear friend and for the innumerable cherished memories we created together, and I will miss him beyond my ability to express. Thank you so much, everyone, for your well wishes, and for your friendship and support to Lee; it means a great deal to me.

Unfortunately Lee's family is left in a very precarious situation. His wife has cancer, and Lee was the sole breadwinner for the family. I am working on the establishment of some kind of benefit fund for his family, but the details are yet to be hashed out. An official announcement about his death is also pending, but as everyone might imagine, there is a great deal to be done this week with the planning of the funeral and the settling of his affairs.

Most Gratefully,

Josh


To find out how to help Lee's family, just visit the Locus Design website.

No comments:

Post a Comment