Sunday, March 20, 2011

Shout out for Bobalu Cigars


While at SXSW this weekend, I had the distinct pleasure of visiting one of my favorite spots on Sixth Street--Bobalu Cigars. Bobalu rolls all of their own cigars right on the premises, and they have an outstanding selection of different types and blends for every palate.

Cigar rollers can be a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes you get a Cuban roller outside of the homeland who can assemble a first-rate stick, and sometimes you get something sloppy that is not quite up to the standards of the professionals. When I first tried Bobalu for the first time last August, I didn't know what to expect. I thought I'd found something that was on the kitschy side, something that fit into the carnival atmosphere on Sixth Street, But the folks at Bobalu make excellent cigars, and they surpassed my expectations in every way.

Here I am smoking my favorite of theirs--the Oscuro that is dark, rich and peppery. The guy in the window looking into the camera was the actual roller. It was a genuine pleasure to stand in front of Bobalu and smoke that divine cigar as I watched all the people attending SXSW walking on by.

If you'd like to know more about Bobalu, just visit their website at http://www.livecigarrollers.com or check them out in person at 509 E. Sixth St., Austin TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment