Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Material at the Dorm Room


I did manage to hear quite a bit of music yesterday at the 2011 SXSW, and if there was one single unifying theme it was "every band needs a great drummer." I heard so many outstanding drummers yesterday, and it pleases me to no end. When I go down the list of my favorite rock musicians of all time, it's never people like Clapton or Hendricks or Page. It's Moon and Copeland and Bonham and Clem Burke.

That said, I was able to catch The Material, a San Diego band, playing at the Dorm Room last night, and within a few seconds I realized I was watching another great drummer in action. Kevin Pintado is actually new to the band, but he was fun, dynamic and showy in the great rock and roll tradition. Singer Colleen D'Agostino added to this classic vibe by channeling a little Pat Benatar in both looks and voice. I'm not sure if this is a put-down in this day and age, but suffice it to say that she had one powerful, expressive voice, even though she said she was a bit hoarse because it was the band's fifth appearance at SXSW. It didn't matter.


The Material, who also consist of Jon Moreaux (guitar, backing vocals), Jordan Meckley (guitar) and Roi Elam (bass), combine that melodic classic hard rock feel with moments of sheer post-punk energy.

I spoke to Jon briefly after the show about SXSW, guitar cables and our mutual friend Nate Muzquiz (son of Dan Muzquiz of Blackbird Audio). I didn't notice until the morning after that Colleen now goes by the name Colleen D'Agostino Moreaux, which in posterity brings a certain sweetness to their songs. The set was altogether too short (only six songs), but I dug them and hope to see them again soon!

You can also download the new album from The Material at wearethematerial.com/sxsw.

1 comment:

  1. When I was growing up my Dad played in a band that included the drummer for Roy Orbison: Larry Parks. Damn. Something special about a serious rhythm section in the living room...

    ReplyDelete