Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Milt's BBQ!

There's more to the Vinyl Anachronist than a tasty burger...there's always BBQ! I live in central TX, which is where the world's finest BBQ is created. Sorry, St. Louis, Kansas City, Carolina. Your BBQ is tasty, but the pit-cooked meat here in Texas is so good, it doesn't even need sauce! If you've never been to Lockhart, Texas, you've never tasted REAL BBQ.

I've been a big fan of Black's BBQ in Lockhart since I arrived in Texas. It's the oldest family-owned restaurant in Texas. But it's also 16 miles away. And that's not freeway miles, that's two-lane highway miles. It's a pretty drive, but not one I want to do every time I need some brisket or some smoked sausage.

Luckily, we have a solution right here in my hometown of Kyle. It's called Milt's BBQ, and they easily run with the big boys out in Lockhart such as Black's, Chisholm Trail and Kreutz's. Milt's has some of the tastiest brisket in Central Texas, and their smoked sausage tastes very similar to the links at Black's. It's even called "Lockhart sausage" as a homage to that more famous town to the east of these parts. Their potato salad is also one of the best I've tasted, a little heavier on the celery than usual and not too sweet.

Best of all, the lunch above--brisket, Lockhart sausage, potato salad and beans--was just $8.49. And it's so filling, I probably won't have dinner. And Milt's is just about one and a half miles from my house. I try to go at least once a week, while my trips to Lockhart have become much less frequent. This is great, great chow.

No comments:

Post a Comment